Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The US Presidential Elections

I'm really enjoying the race to become US President, in particular the battle between Obama and Clinton to win the Democratic Party nomination.

I can't pretend to understand the ins and outs of the voting system but from what I've read, they're neck and neck, with Obama appearing to have a bit more momentum at the moment.

This may be a very naive thing to say, but I wonder if they'll do a deal - a bit like Blair and Brown, whereby they agree to work together for the common good of the Party? This could mean the loser becomes the 'running mate' of the winner and eventually, the vice-president.

I can't imagine that in terms of idealogy Obama and Clinton would be very far apart, plus I feel that as a combination they would be unstoppable and have much broader appeal than McCain. I'd love to see that happen.

3 comments:

James Franco said...

When someone runs for office in the USA, they generally nominate their running mate at the start of the campaign, and certainly before the primaries.
Normally they pick a running mate who will give them states that they wouldnt win on their own- i.e. Obama will pick someone from the south as his strongest states will be in areas with large black populations.

I would like Barack Obama to win, I dont like Hilary Clinton and if she wins, then the USA will have been run by two families for the past 28 years, and that worries me.

PS- I learnt everything about the US elections from watching The West Wing.

Tony said...

I'm very impressed James!

James Franco said...

Watch Season 4 and 7 of the West Wing, they centre around the Us elections.
It is amazing what you can learn from TV