Thursday, November 15, 2007


The New St Pancras
Today I caught the Eurostar to Paris from St Pancras station. My third country visit in one week. I was quite excited about seeing it as it only opened yesterday. I've always had a soft spot for St Pancras. I always used to catch the train here to go back to Derby when I was a student.
The roof and the overall sense of space was really impressive. However, none of the facilities were open. All the smart new shops and coffee bars were boarded up and it all felt a bit cold and empty.
Once you got inside the terminal, the disappointment continued. There was 1 Cafe Nero which had huge queues. And that was it. Also, it seemed really crowded. I'm not sure there's enough seating for everyone.
Fortunately, the train was on time and was really quick. In Paris however, there's a strike going on with very limited transport services. After lots of hanging around and conversations with rude staff I've eventually made it to Dijon. Phew! What a relief. Hope I make it back home tomorrow.

No comments: