Sunday, July 29, 2007

What I'm Reading

I've just started reading this fantastic book called 'The Damned United' It re-tells the story of Brian Clough's disastrous 44 day reign at Leeds United in 1974 alongside flashbacks to his early days as a manager at Hartlepool and Derby.

What's so compelling about this book is that its written through the eyes of Brian Clough - as if he's written it himself. The attention to detail is amazing and no doubt the author has done huge amounts of research to ensure it is as accurate as possible. I've just read a bit where Clough has dropped his wife and kids at the swings at Normanton Park whilst he's gone for an interview for the Derby manager job.

Its a fabulous, pacy read and Clough's voice and character along with the period detail of the 1960s and 1970s comes through loud and clear. I wonder if the La Gondola will get a mention?

Essential reading for anyone with a Derby connection and even if you don't like footie, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Am about to go on holiday to Italy and am so looking forward to sitting on a sunlounger and racing through this book.

1 comment:

James Franco said...

I think I will try and get a copy for our holiday to Italy in September.

Where abouts in Italy are you going?

We are all off to Torre Del Lago in September for a Franco Family outing.