Monday, July 02, 2007

Golf

End of day 2 of my workshop. Just been looking out from my bedroom window over the golfcourse through the gloomy clouds and come to the conclusion that I don't think I'll ever play golf. Apart from the fact that I don't think I'll ever find the time, I find all the 'stuff' that surrounds the sport a bit depressing. Things I hate about golf are:

1. The middle class clubbiness of it all. You have to belong, fit in and be a certain type to be part of the golf scene.

2. The maleness: it all feels very businessy and blokey. Lots of people with blackberries strutting around, doing deals, feeling indestructible

3. The terrible clothing: those Pringle jumpers, slacks and shoes with tassles.
On the other hand, tennis is a fantastic sport - and not just because its Wimbledon at the moment. Its inclusive, a mental and physical challenge, sociable without any of the baggage that surrounds golf. I must play more often so if anyone fancies a game - get in touch!

4 comments:

James Franco said...

I love playing golf, I am terrible, but love it.
You should give it a go, there is no stigma when you are hacking round the woods looking for your ball.

Tony said...

You're probably right James. I shouldn't be so narrow minded about it. But I do think that the image of the game does need a re-vamp

Anonymous said...

Not all golfers are like Brucie and Jimmy Tarbuck. Joe plays golf every day of the week at the moment, he's obsessed and Nicky joins him too when he can. You ought to try it I think a pink Pringle would suit you.

Tony said...

Next time I'm in Derby I'll ask Joe to give me a lesson.