Friday, July 27, 2007

Can I have a 99 please

Why is a 99 called a 99? Who invented it? Lots of people have asked me this over the years and I've never known the answer, which is a bit embarassing given my upbringing.

However, have discovered - reassuringly - that nobody really knows but there are lots of strange theories. Here are my favourites.

1. When Italy had a monarchy, the king used to have a special army of 99 guards

2. An Italian family in Scotland invented it in the 1920s and their cafe was 99 High Street

3. The initials 'IC' from Ice Cream form the Roman numerals for 99.

Loads more info on wikipedia


4 comments:

James Franco said...

I vote for number one.
I asked my dad, and the term 99 is an italian term for something that is really good.
Apparently the king was guarded by 99 of the Elite Italian army, so that is the one I vote for.

However, it is not the Ice cream that is the 99, it is the flake, 99 is a Cadburys brand.

Silvana said...

Yes, I thought it was just a Cadbury's invention. I hear the summer's finally on its way so might finally get chance to scoff a few!

Tony said...

Guard theory seems most likely. Spoke to someone who worked at Cadburys and he mentioned this too - although he thought it was the Vatican Guard. Although Cadbury invented the 99 as a brand name for its Flake, I think the name is based on an existing legend / story. Hopefully you managed to sell plenty at Markeaton Park this weekend.

James Franco said...

The Park has been really busy all week.
I was excused from duty, the younger generation have taken over now, Paolo and Lisa tend to go down when it is busy.