Thursday, November 23, 2006


My Allotment

Last Sunday I visited my allotment for the first time in ages. It was a cold and sunny morning and I really enjoyed digging, clearing weeds and getting dirty.

Being a novice, my neighbours gave me lots of advice and handed out their surplus produce. The surrounding plots are immaculate and some people have had them for over 20 years. My plot is a bit shabby and I'm sure they're very unimpressed with my efforts. I must get down more often to keep on top of everything.

Having an allotment really makes you appreciate what good food should really taste like. Last year my tomatoes and broad beans were amazing. You also get to learn about growing seasons and how to look after plants.

This winter I'm not going to grow much. However, now is a good time for garlic. Simply take an ordinary bulb, break it into cloves and plant them 4 inches apart with the tips showing. They'll be ready next Summer. Easy peasy. However, watch out for the birds pulling out the green stems when they begin to grow.

In Wandsworth there's a 3 year waiting list for an allotment. I can understand why.

No comments: