Monday, November 06, 2006

Jakarta

Staying in the huge and very swanky Ritz Carlton hotel running a 3 day workshop. (2nd time I've stayed in 1 of these - the first was in Dubai earlier this year.) Have been here a day now and not stepped out onto the streets of the city. So far have only seen the view from the airport to the hotel and the view from my 20th floor room. Feeling jetalagged from the 17 hour flight and the bed is so comfy, so not inspired to move..although all the spa facilities seem quite tempting. Even the locals tell me the city is dominated by pollution, traffic and shopping. I can get plenty of that in London.

What I didn't realise about Indonesia is that it is the biggest Muslim country in the world. Population of over 200 mill with over 90% muslim. Not sure George Bush will get much of a welcome when he arrives here.

Everyone says I should stay on and spend some time here eg go to Bali. Another time maybe.

Shame I missed bonfire night. However managed to stay up to see the live footie (Chelsea v Spurs) As usual am listening to Radio 4 re-runs on my laptop. Reminds me of home. The Archers is really hotting up. Will also try and finish my book. Murakami's 'A Wild Sheep Chase'. Very funny. Very surreal. Nick gave it to me.

Have got 19 items on my phone's To Do list. Guess I should try and knock off a couple if I can whilst I wait for my food to arrive. I quite fancied the Chinese breakfast: congee, dimsum, noodles and soy milk. I really do feel in a different time zone

1 comment:

Silvana said...

you lucky devil!