Friday, May 04, 2007

Too Busy to Blog

Have not done any blogging this week, largely because I've been running workshops near Swindon. Discovered that Swindon is a surprisingly long way from London - 75 miles and it took ages to get there and back. I didn't want to stay in a hotel.

Plus of course, just had to watch the Liverpool Chelsea game...and of course the Jose Mourinho interview which is usually more compelling than the game.


HIghight of the week so far has been the film Dead Man's Shoes on Monday. Was half watching Charlotte Grey which was glossy and insipid with the usual actors you've imagine and Dead Man's Shoes came. I found it really compelling and stayed up until 1am to watch it - which I never do.

Its set in Derbyshire and I recognised the voices and the landscape immediately. Think it was filmed around Matlock. Was about a man taking out his revenge on the people who tortured his younger brother. Was so gripping and realistic with lots of people who weren't trained actors. No swirly music, no sentiment but incredibly sad.
Maybe it was because the younger brother was called Anthony.

3 comments:

Silvana said...

Yes, that's by Shane Meadows who I think is from Sheffield. He has a new film in the cinema at the moment called This Is England and I've heard it's fantastic. The BFI is running a month long series of all of Shane's films, starting from tonight. I'll go and see some with you.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see this. Wasn't Gary Stretch a british boxing champ?

Tony said...

Silvana - I heard Shane Meadows talking about This is England on the radio which I really want to see and didn't realise he's made this as well. Yes - lets go and see them.

Nick - you're right - he was a boxer. Thought I recognised him but couldn't remember where. Definitely worth seeing.