Thursday, May 10, 2007

Pleasure Derived From the Misfortune of Others

One of my favourite words is the German word schadenfreude which apparently does not translate directly into English. Its an emotion that I can't help feeling from time to time even though I know I shouldn't.

For example, I'm genuinely pleased that Leeds United have been relegated this year and have now gone into administration. I'm sure its quite a distressing experience for the people involved, but it still makes me happy. Maybe its because I've got this deep rooted dislike of their cynical team of the 1970s but I always hope they do badly.


Equally it makes me smile when I see John Terry crying every time Chelsea fail to win a trophy. I don't feel sorry for him at all. He's just a mardy baby.


I'm obviously not alone. There's a huge magazine /newspaper/ web industry that's dedicated to humiliating famous people and revelling in their fall from grace.

Why do we sometimes feel this way? Is it to do with insecurity, aggression, jealousy, hatred, self affirmation? I'm not sure...and how come the Germans have a word for it and we don't?

Another expression that I really like is 'revenge is a dish best served cold'. Don't understand it, but I like the sound of it.

2 comments:

Silvana said...

Heartless! Poor Leeds! Poor John Terry!

Tony said...

I remember the gloating Leeds fans when they beat Derby 5-0 a few years ago...so no, still pleased they've gone down!