Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Back to My Roots

Got the chance to run a workshop in Nottingham yesterday, which meant that I had the opportunity to go back home to Derby for the first time in ages.

Caught the train from St Pancras on Sunday night and was struck by the scale of the work that's going on. I've always thought it was the most attractive station in London and its going to be very impressive when its finished. Eventually arrived in the familiar surroundings of Derby which is also being reconstructed.

I'm less confident about Derby becoming more attractive. Whenever they've tried to rebuild the centre its always been a disaster. Still, fingers crossed this time round. Need to be careful what I write. Can't be seen to criticise Derby - which by the way has now got its own 'Derbyshire Flag'.

Had a quick catch up with the family in Derby and of course had dinner at my mum and dads' which was great. Nice to actually see mum on Mothers Day. Everyone in a good mood especially as Derby are still top of the Championship. Major talking point - my 15 year old nephew's new earring. Very controversial. His mum's worried that he might start hanging out with girls from Chad - which really would be unforgiveable.

Took the train from Derby to Nottingham on Monday morning and had a really enjoyable day. The people in this part of the world are genuinely more relaxed and chatty than in London. I even got free biscuits on the train journey back.

5 comments:

Silvana said...

Can't imagine P with an ear-ring! Did it suit him?

Tony said...

Not really. Big diamond stub. Angela and Dad giving him a hard time.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean? I look well good.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you put the Chad comment in, I'll start to get hate mail. Doesn't Bev come from Chad?

Tony said...

Paolo - well bad I'm afraid. And yes Bev is from Chad. Apart from here I don't know any Chad bloggers..but you never know...