Saturday, February 10, 2007


My New Bike

I bought my new racer this week which is really exciting. Still not ridden it yet, but planning to go for a big ride around Richmond Park tomorrow with my fanatical cycling mates. Richmond Park is full of serious cyclists who whizz around at top speed. A bit intimidating for a novice like me.

Not sure where to keep the bike. Its currently in the lounge, but I'm not sure I'll be allowed to keep it there indefinitely. Can't possibly leave it outside.

I bought it from De Ver Cycles on Streatham High Road, one of the friendliest bike shops in south London. Really enthusiastic staff and lots of great bikes to look at.
Streatham High Road has been voted the worst High Street in the UK. Its reputation hasn't been helped by the recent shooting at the Ice Rink. Its a shame really, because when you get close up there are a few nice independent shops and some OK restaurants. Its just so ugly and busy you don't want to hang around too long.

One of my favourite Streatham High Road venues is La Pergola, where they have a famous Elvis impersonater. It feels like you're back in the 1970s, but its a great place to go with a gang of people. Its recently been renovated and has re-opened again.Wonder what its like now?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as it appens, my family here in Oz all have mountain bikes which are also of the Giant make. Err thats it. Keep up the fitness thing. Nick.

Tony said...

Took my bike out for a ride yesterday. Still trying to get fit