Monday, February 26, 2007

Helsinki

After a few days in rainy SW16, I'm back in another cold climate - Helsinki. Only minus 6 degrees, but cold enough to want to stay in the hotel. This evening I decided to brave the hotel sauna. I was going to go for a swim but the heated pool was bloody freezing. Lying in the sauna I closed my eyes and imagined I was in Barbados. Worked for a little while. I know saunas are supposed to be good for you, but I'm not quite sure why.

Two things I discovered today. Firstly, Fazer chocolate, which is apparently a classic Finnish brand. Really, really nice. I know I'm supposed to have given up chocolate for Lent, but I couldn't help nicking a couple of bits.

I also discovered that in the Finnish forests the wolf population is on the increase and you can get attacked by bears. I never knew it was such a dangerous place.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not another sauna/bath-house visit - this is becoming a recurring hang-out.

Tony said...

Hi George. Say hello to Elton for me. No - last time I chickened out of the sauna. This time I decided to check it out.

Anonymous said...

I hear you're a wolf in sheepsclothing