Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Resolutions

Everything you read about at the moment is on how to get slimmer, wealthier, happier and sexier in 2007. Yes, its the time of the year to change your life, pin up those resolutions, start those new hobbies, join the gym, chuck away the remaining Thornton Continentals and begin the Detox programme.

I'm as bad as anyone. I always write resolutions. I recently discovered my 1997 resolutions sellotaped to the inside of my wardrobe on some yellow filofax paper. No 1. Lose 2 stone. Still not done it. Still need to.

There's a whole publishing industry built around 'Self Improvement' books. My friend in Devon has bought most of them - along with all those on how to 'Get Rich Quick'.

Over Christmas the most interesting book I read was by Tom Hodgkinson who runs the Idler magazine called 'How To Be Free'. Not exactly a Self Improvement book, but more of a call to action on how to change your lifestyle. Its very radical, but it is very insightful and thought provoking.

The most interesting idea I found was to encourage us to focus our lives on producing and not consuming ie to be creative and output focused and not to be passive and wasteful in the way we live our lives.

I'm certainly going to try and embrace this idea in 2007. And of course I REALLY am going to lose 2 stone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm going to lose 2 stone too. I've put a graph up above the bathroom scales so I can chart my progress. And I've given up Coronation Street. Better get myself a copy of that book!

Anonymous said...

As you know I certainly don't need to lose any weight at all as I'm as petite as Kylie..... But I do agree with theme of CAFOD this year which is "to live simply". I'm also going to try and give all the soaps as it's a waste of my life but I must keep checking on the progress of Ken Russell.