Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What I've Been Reading

Have just finished Ian McEwan's On Chesil Beach which I really enjoyed. I was hoping not to like it, but I did. A nicely constructed well paced plot, finely observed characters and a great eye for detail.

He's a great writer but there's something quite irritating about him. He's so on top of his game that I feel he showboats. It's like he's trying to demonstrate the depth and range of his language and trying to impress us with his intellect. His books also feature too many middle class, well educated and talented characters for my liking.

Still worth reading though. And less than 200 pages too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked it too. Bit boring at the very start but soon got better - worth reading Maria Doyle

Rezina said...

I read it last month as part of our work reading group and we agreed that it was beautifully written. However I had a few issues with his treatment of his female subject. I couldn't understand why he followed through on Edward's life but forgot about her? (can't remember her name!)
I would have preferred a more defined ending .. perhaps there's a sequel in there somewhere???

Tony said...

Yes Rez - I wanted to know about her too (Florence. Felt the ending was rushed. Think he had a deadline. I don't think Ian McEwan finishes books well. 'Enduring Love' had a fantastic opening with the air balloon scene then gradually lost its wsy.

Anonymous said...

Tony,

I also enjoyed Chesil Beach, but I can't agree he is on top of his game. I couldn't finish either Atonement or Saturday. I just got bored with them.
Pete C