Friday, April 11, 2008

What I'm Reading

Bought Nick Hornby's Slam at Dublin airport yesterday and am really enjoying it. It's written through the voice of a 16 year old and - at least to me - is very convincing. As with all his books, it's sharp, funny and very easy to read.

I've always been a big fan of his. I'm always impressed by his ability to tell stories through the eyes of other people, for example, the middle class woman in 'How To Be Good'. He writes about stuff that I can really relate to: football, music, parenthood, growing up.

Really looking forward to picking it up again. Recommended.

3 comments:

James Franco said...

I love Nick Hornby usually.
I was very diasappointed by "Long way Down", but it is good to see he is back on form.
I will purchase this asap.

Tony said...

Is the kind of book a teenager would enjoy too. Yes - is better than 'Long Way Down', which I still liked.

James Franco said...

I read this yesterday and really enjoyed it.
I liked all the Tony Hawk references.
I am down with the kids so I even knew what a gay twist was.