Monday, June 09, 2008

So Pleased England Did Not Qualify

On the radio today a flag manufacturer was moaning about the fact that sales of the English flag were disappointingly low due to England's failure to qualify for Euro 2008. Apparently it will cost the British Economy £2 billion. Can't be helping Gordon's plight.

However, I'm delighted we didn't get through. No more false optimism, jingoism, big screens, penalty shoot-outs, stress, failure, crying footballers, depression and sackings.
Let the other countries feel the pain for once. Let's just sit back and enjoy the footie. Or...we could find something more interesting to do instead.

5 comments:

Silvana said...

Don't believe a word of it. You love the pain, the hope, the disappointment. I am miserable that we're not playing. I want to go down the pub and watch a big screen and do some cheering. But still, I suppose my garden does need some attention. And there's always doing the ironing during Holby City to keep me busy :(

James Franco said...

You could always support Italy I suppose.
That is the beauty of having an Italian family, you always have a choice of teams to support, although if England ever play Italy, it is Italy all the way for me.
Shame about the Holland game last night

Tony said...

Yes I did watch Italy, which was almost as bad as watching England. Disappointed but trying to not get too emotionally involved. Euro 2008has become like a Trade Exhibition. Whoever plays well, will end up at a top Premier League team.

James Franco said...

Or if they dont play that well, they will end up at Derby.

Tony said...

No...we'll be looking at star players from the Vauxhall Conference League.