Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Running

I'm someone who tries to run regularly, but find it a bit of a struggle, largely due to age, dodgy knees and being overweight. However, I still enjoy running and have worked that there are probably 6 stages I go through during a run which are

1. Anticipation: 'I really should go for a run, but I don't really feel like it' More often then not, this results in a decision not to go for a run for a whole range of spurious reasons.
The answer: get your kit on, don't think too much, just do it

2. Pain: 'Blimey this is hard work' Takes place during the first 5 minutes when you're trying to kick-start your body into action
The answer: a nice long warm-up

3. Pleasure: 'I'm really quite enjoying this'. Midway through. The classic runners high, when you're moving effortlessly

4. Suffering: 'This is really painful'.Getting towards the end of your run and your body is beginning to rebel.

5. Relief: 'Thank God its over. I'm feeling quite pleased with myself now'. You've finally stopped, you begin to recover and are looking forward to a nice hot shower

6. Smugness: 'I've just been for a run. Aren't I virtuous. Must do it regularly' The post run glow when you're looking back on your run.

So what's the answer? How can you make running easier?
I think there are 3 key ways to do this:

1. Set yourself a goal. Book yourself in on a run eg a 10K or half marathon where you'll be forced to train. There's loads to choose from. Check out the Runners World website
2. Find a running partner. This way you'll be able to encourage each other even if you train separately
3. Don't take it too seriously. I think this new Reebok ad has the right attitude.

3 comments:

James Franco said...

I only run when chased.

For me, running is not enough of a contact sport.

Tom Farrand said...

Tony, you have to try Nike Plus - it's got me running much more than before. Speak soon! Tom

Tony said...

Good to hear from you Tom. Never heard of Nike Plus. You'll have to fill me in.