Friday, March 28, 2008











Ashes to Ashes vs Life on Mars

Managed to catch the last episode of Ashes to Ashes last night. Although I've not seen that much of the series, it's clear to me that it's nowhere near as good as Life On Mars. I think the key reasons are:

1. John Simm is much more compelling and charismatic than Keely Hawes as the central character. There's something slightly irritating about her - in the same that Kiera Knightley is hard to warm to
2. We've lost the element of surprise. When Life on Mars first appeared it was genuinely trailbrazing, whilst we know the basic structure now.
3. There's a greater emphasis on humour now rather than tension which makes it less gripping
4. The 70s are more quirky and interesting than the hard nosed 80s.

Having said all that it's still worth watching. I still really like the Gene Hunt character and his sidekicks. There's a new series being made. Will be interesting to see how they keep it fresh.

3 comments:

James Franco said...

I never saw life on Mars, but have really enjoyed Ashes to Ashes. I sky+ the last episode last night and will watch it later.

Keeley Hawes is far easier on the eye than John Simm though.
I would like to see an early 90s Madchester series.

Tony said...

Try '24 Hour Party People' or 'Control' for early 90s Manchester. Tony Wilson appears in both films.

ps have you given up on your blog???

James Franco said...

I have 24 hour party people on DVD, not seen "control".

I havent given up on my blog, I have just been really pants at finding the time to update it.

I will do a post over the weekend about the Apprentice, I know one of the girls on there this year, I used to work with her.