Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Dragon's Den

After Nigella, I watched the Dragon's Den, which was compelling but in a different way. I know its only television, but the dragons really are awful people. Aggressive, arrogant, incredibly condescending, bullying these poor desperate people, looking for a lifeline. i don't think I've ever seen Duncan Ballantine invest a penny.

However, there is a way to succeed and get your money.

1. Say you've had a poor, tough upbringing. The dragons hate posh people and love an underdog.
2. Know your numbers. If you get lost in your finances, they'll kill you.
3. Flatter the judges. Give them something that's personalised - however tacky - and it will play to their egos.
4. Never ask for too much. They won't risk more than £100 000 on any single investment
5. Be prepared to give up 30-40% of your company.
6. Don't waffle. They can't concentrate for too long.
7. Ask for money at the right time. Show you've sold something already. They won't back an unproven start-up

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Tony _ I absolutely agree. I caught it for the first team this season and I had forgotten how bad it makes me feel. Why oh why would any fledgling business put themselves through such an ordeal?I think you'd have to have several hours of therapy to recover from being torn to shreads by those very nasty people.I saw a follow up programme where a couple who'd been laughed at went on to great success with their holiday security towel.Some of the ideas are bonkers though.

Anonymous said...

actually I really like the new Mr Khan - unlike some of the others who just go on and on about how brilliant and clever they are - he seems quite kind and usually invests.

Tony said...

Yes - the new judge is not as bad as the others. I'm sure they'll ask him to be more nasty. They got rid of the other Ozzie bloke who was the most reasonable.