Thursday, April 02, 2009

What's the Best Goal You've Ever Witnessed Live?

We were discussing this last night. Mine has to be Charlie George's first goal in Derby's 4-1 victory against Real Madrid in the European Cup at the Baseball Ground in 1975. A first time shot with his left foot from an Archie Gemmill cross. I was sitting in the front row of the stand just above the post where the goal went in. I think I had the best view of it in the whole ground. Whenever I'm feeling a bit depressed I replay this moment in my head.

George went on to score a hat-trick - including 2 penalties. One of them from a classic Francis Lee dive in the box.

Click here to view it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a Dons fan I've seen some crackers scored against us - Beckham form the half way line, Tony Yeboah, Cantona, Di Canio. Saw Owen score on his Liverpool debut against us.There was a top 100 goals in the Premier League programme on a while ago and seriously 10% of the top goals were against. Best one overall probably Beckham, or maybe Lineker against The Rest of the World, making a monkey out of mal Donaghy.

Trust you're all set for Saturday Tony??

Mikey

Tony said...

Hi Mikey
I think I was also at the game Owen scored. I wonder what happened to him? Yes - really excited for Saturday. Will bring my camera and zoom lens. More importantly - are you ready?

Anonymous said...

not long to go now - feeling pretty good, it's that big match mentality fostered from all those hours at Plough lane...

James Franco said...

I wasnt even born when that game took place.
My mum went to the match about 8 months pregnant.

Tony said...

Hi James - I think I was sitting next to her...